Can a DUI Conviction Affect Your Future?

If you have been arrested for a DUI in Georgia, you are probably most concerned about the immediate problems: jail time, fines and license suspension.

Yes – A DUI Conviction Can Affect Your Future Employment

While those are obviously big consequences, many people do not consider other secondary consequences of a DUI conviction. One of them: How it will affect your future employment? Here are a few things to consider:

  1. Background checks – A Georgia conviction will show up on a background check. Some employers may be willing to hire you once they see you have a criminal record. Others may choose a different candidate. But, a conviction will nearly always turn up on an employment background check.
  2. Sensitive jobs – While many places are willing to hire people with a DUI conviction, you may be unable to get a job in some broad categories. These include some jobs in childcare and the medical field. You may not be able to work in jobs that involve driving.
  3. Security clearances – Some severe DUI convictions can also restrict you from security clearances, which allow you to work in government and law enforcement.
  4. Licensure or certification – Some professional fields require certification and licensure to operate. A DUI conviction can cause you to lose or be ineligible for certain types of licensure or certifications.
  5. Higher education– In some cases, a DUI conviction can affect your admission to certain universities. And while a misdemeanor DUI will not affect access to financial aid, a felony DUI can.

Will a dui conviction affect your future? Yes - call Ashley Schiavone for guidance.Arrested for DUI? Call Ashley Schiavone for Advice

So will a DUI conviction affect your future? There is a huge difference between a DUI arrest and a conviction. Good legal guidance will be key for how this will affect your future. If you are arrested for a DUI in Georgia, it is important to get in touch with an experienced DUI lawyer immediately. Ashley Schiavone can take a look at your case and see if there are ways your charges can be reduced or if it is a case that can be tried in court.

Call 770-578-2344 Right Now