A Race with Big Implications
A nationally important political battle is shaping up right in our own back yard. Georgia’s 6th Congressional District is up for grabs. For the first time in more than 35 years, it is a close race between a Republican and Democrat.
Here are the 10 things you need to know about the Georgia 6th District Special Election:
1. Karen Handel is a former Georgia secretary of state and deputy chief of staff for Governor Sonny Purdue. She supports the national Republican platform, you can find out more on her website.
2. Jon Ossoff has worked for two Georgia Democrats, John Lewis and Hank Johnson. Ossoff has a background in economics, and claims the national Democrat platform, you can find out more on his website.
3. If you are sick of election ads, here’s why: This runoff election is getting an infusion of campaign money from the both national parties. It may end up being the most expensive House race ever.
4. The money is flowing because it is seen as a test run for the mid-term elections next year and, some say, a referendum on the new presidential administration.
5. We are seeing a political shift in this district, which has been a GOP stronghold since 1979.
6. The race is close. A recent poll showed the two candidates were in a statistical tie. Ossoff held a huge lead to Handel in the original voting because was the only Democrat running in a large field of Republican candidates. Once the field narrowed to two, Republicans rallied support behind Handel.
7. The runoff is scheduled for June 20, but early in-person voting began on May 2 and will continue until May 30. The last day to mail an absentee ballot will be June 16.
8. This special election is to replace the seat for Representative Tom Price, who is now the United States Health Secretary under President Trump.
9. Georgia’s 6th District is located north of Atlanta, and encompasses east Cobb County, North Fulton County and North Dekalb County.
Vote June 20
The Georgia 6th District Special Election will have huge implications; we hope you can make it to the polls!